Saturday, June 15, 2013

Beliefs

Today, I would like to post about beliefs. Some people may be surprised by what I write here, but some others will probably not be. Since I've been out of the Christian churches, I've had time to sit and think about what it is that I actually believe, not what my former pastor believes or my pastor and preacher friends believe, but what I personally believe. I've even explored other religions and beliefs. What I've found in my explorations is that all religions and beliefs have one common goal, and that is to do good for others and make this world a better place.

Unfortunately, certain religions feel the need to exclude certain people in order to make the world better. I have trouble with that. I have met so many wonderful people that don't fit into the mold that most religions want them to fit into. Most of these people do more good for others than the religious people that I know. These are the people that I want to be around because I see a spirit inside of them that most (not all) of the people in the Christian churches I went to claimed to have but never showed to others. They never even attempted to reach out and help others. Instead, they just stayed inside their church walls and preached to each other.

However, the people who don't fit into the traditional church mold have more of what I like to call the Christ spirit in them than so-called Christians do. By the Christ spirit, I don't mean what most people think of when they hear it. I'm not referring to Jesus Christ at all, although during his life on earth, I believe that Jesus of Nazareth did display these characteristics and was trying to teach others to recognize this spirit inside of them. To me, the Christ spirit in a person is "a state of consciousness that is defined by forgiveness, compassion, unconditional love, and total reverence for life and self." I believe that everyone has this spirit living inside of them and that everyone is capable of allowing this spirit to come forth. Some people may not recognize that they have it or simply don't choose to exercise it, but it is there. This is why I choose to honor all life because all life comes from this spirit and contains this spirit. I believe that even those who don't believe in a god or gods at all still have that spirit in them because I have seen firsthand how much they care about others and go out of their way to make sure everyone has the same rights as everyone else. They even want to make sure that people who believe in a god have the right to worship and honor that god however they choose, even though many religious people don't want to extend them the right to not honor and worship a god.

Even I wouldn't be welcome in Christian churches anymore because of the things I am saying here, and I was once in music ministry in a Christian church. They would probably say that I'm "backslidden." Actually, though, I believe that my eyes have been opened, and I am finally free to worship the God that I can believe in the way I feel like I should. I can finally have a true connection to that Christ spirit within me that I wasn't allowed to have in my former church, and I can exercise that spirit to help others.....all others, not just the ones that my former church approves of. I can direct my energy to help others and even cause good things to happen for others.

Hmm........that sounds a bit like prayer, doesn't it? I bet you didn't know that other religions besides just one actually pray, too.  If only we could all focus on the things they we have in common instead of always focusing on the things that are different, what an awesome world this would be!

Here are a couple of articles that fit in to my idea of the Christ spirit. Check them out if you're interested.

http://dianescholten.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/unity-principles-the-christ-spirit-lives-within-me/
http://www.powertoshare.com/dropzone/articles/2001/05/the-christ-spirit/

No comments:

Post a Comment